Saturday, April 28, 2012

Supercaps Part I

My Supercaps have arrived - all 49 of them.  I got them on Ebay for cheap.  Notice I'm not using Ultracaps.  Why? They require balancing boards and are usually more expensive.  I played with a Maxwell Ultracap 12V bank once after reading about the EV1 that uses them to drag race. You should definitely google that one!

Some observations:  The supercaps are a little heavier that what I thought, they have no voltage when they arrive - that's good!

The next step is to make bus bars out of 3/8 inch OD copper tubing that I bought from a hardware store.  BTW, copper ain't cheap anymore.  I made a small busbar just to make sure it was going to fit right, so far so good.  The entire area will be approx 18" X 18" X 4".  This pack, when complete, will run in parallel to the main battery bank. 

Quite a few folks have tried this before with much success, look at DIYelectriccarforum and see what others have done.  I'm no pioneer, just a guy that likes to steal from the best.  Yes, there are skeptics and no I don't have any kind of equipment to quantify the results.  I figure if it helps my $5K battery pack perform better and last longer for under $120 bucks - I'm in!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment