Sunday, April 8, 2012

Adjusting the Charger

My PFC 20 was going to need to be adjusted.  Three dead cells means 9.6 volts difference in the maximum charge. (Not to mention almost a full KWh of power source gone) The PFC 20 has a voltage limiter that ensures the batteries don't get toasted.  But you have to adjust the setting.  There's a download area at manzanitamicro that details this.  One thing you must absolutely make certain of: that switches 1 and 4 are turned on!

When I had my overcharge situation, the switches were off and the MINIBMS was not completely hooked up.  In the long run, my bad! And now three cells total are dead. At $100 a cell, that's a bad mistake to make.  But both are working well together and I'm at the point where my confidence is high.

I did a charge tonight and this worked perfectly: I started charging at 15 amps then it throttled back when the battery pack came close to the set "full" voltage then went into a top balance mode of 1.75 amps while the timer was flashing blue. All the batteries were shunting, perfectly equalized, with the red lights on.  Excellent!!

No comments:

Post a Comment