Monday, April 9, 2012

Brake Solution

Lots of noise coming from the back when I drive and hit bumps.  I decided to look at the brakes.  The main metal bracket that attaches the caliper to the axle had come loose on both sides.  Despite my best efforts to tighten, all I did was strip the bolt heads.  Of course these are no ordinary bolts.  They're metric and they have a reduced head.  I suspect the bolt sleeve was getting in the way, or the washers weren't thick enough.  I ended up going to Fastenal and the guy asks me if I could use an allen hex bolt.  Same length, no sleeve and the head looks about the same size.  Sure...let's give it a go!  These bolts with the lock washers worked perfectly!!!

And what a huge difference this has made.  Tonight's 6 mile test drive was amazing, I could hear the electric motor purring while I drove.

Now if I could fix the little vibration in the shifter.......

No comments:

Post a Comment