Sunday, May 6, 2012

10 Hole Rotor/Gravity Bleed

I believe one of the consequences of having the wheel come off my car when I forgot to tighten the lug nuts is two of the lug nuts became stripped.  Can the rotor be tapped?  Not according to the VW mechanic I called.  "Buy a new one and don't drive your car until it's replaced."

Alright!  Now where's that receipt where I bought my rear disc conversion kit from??? Oh well, I decided to call one of the online parts companies that I had done some business with and well, to make a long story short, after the wrong one was sent and returned what they sent was a rotor with 10 holes.  What the heck?  That's exactly what the guy at O'Reilly's said when I showed it to him.  Let me back up, this rotor didn't fit the lug nuts I had but instead the second set of holes matched the rims but used smaller lugs.  That's when I took it to O'Reilly's and that's when they said...What the heck is that?

The good news is they hooked me up with the right nuts and now I'm back on the road.

Before I hit the road I did what's known as a gravity bleed.  You jack up the back of the car as high as you can and then drop the front as low as you can.  You then open the lid on the master cylinder and open the rear bleeder valves.  The theory is any air bubbles will  make their way to the rears.  You need to give this a couple hours and expect some leakage from the back.  Then tighten the bleeder valves and bleed the brakes you normally would.  I saw where Corvettes do this and it is encouraged for old VW owners to do the same.  This helped my brakes but they are still not completely perfect yet.  I'll probably have to perform a master cylinder bench bleed at some point.

Here are the results from this weekend's drives
(I measure the amount of energy going back into the pack from the charger through a kilowatt device)

Yesterday: 21 miles - 5.23 KWh used - 250wh per mile - avg speed 35 mph

Today: 26 miles - 8.46 KWh used - 325wh per mile - avg speed 45+ mph (steep hills)

So far, I've done about 140 miles in testing, still haven't gone on the 70 mph freeway yet.  But I'm looking forward to the first commute sometime this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment