Saturday, July 2, 2011

One of these things is NOT like the other!


What you see are two clutch brakes.  They are put in the flywheel housing and covered by the Clutch Pressure plate.  The splines on the tansaxle slide through the middle of this clutch brake.  All this is done to give me a clutch so I can coast downhill.  We have a lot of 5% hills here in this neck of the woods.
The funny thing is that one of these clutch brakes fits and the other doesn't.
LESSON LEARNED: Check to make sure the clutch brake fits over the transaxle splines before you go through all this trouble.
So...the company that I ordered the original clutch brake from sent me the wrong one. ( The correct one is on the left.)

In addition, the 1967 transaxle had two different versions, one was a 6 volt and the other a 12 volt.  The guy that made my adaptor sent me a flywheel.  And probably guessed it by now - he sent the wrong one.  So, I ground down the flywheel teeth with a grinder and now it fits.


You would think that after fixing two problems I'd have everything solved, right?  Oh no, everything comes in a set of three.  Take a look at what happened next.


Once I took the motor out - again, (sigh)  I can see where the clutch pressure plate was chewing away at part of the transaxle bell housing.  Looks like my adaptor assembly was off by 1/4 inch.

But at least the wheels turn!!!! 

The original plan was to take the motor off my Sparrow and use it since it's capable of handling the 156V battery pack I have.  Then at some point in time put the motor you see above in the Sparrow. This motor will only handle 120V.  However, the Sparrow motor is unique in it has a longer shaft, collar around the bottom of the shaft and some tach comm at the bottom.  To try and buy another motor, like the Sparrow, would be expensive.

So the choice was to keep the Bradley at 120V or try to fit the Sparrow motor.  I chose plan C - Rather than let $1600 worth of lithiums sit around, I bought a new Impulse 9 motor for my Bradley GT II.  It will be here soon.  : )

2 comments:

  1. Really? 38 Batteries, only $1600.00 that is less then lead acid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, the difference between a 120V pack and a 156V pack is $1600 worth of lithiums. The cost of the overall pack was approx $5K.

    ReplyDelete