Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hood Hinge

Finally got the hood hinges figured out.  Why so difficult you ask?  All because of where I cut the hood.  The odd shape would not allow it to open from the windshield area like a door would.  It could probably use one of those fancy lift up and out hot rod hinges that cost a small fortune.  Or I could use a little of my creativity and get a forward opening hood that looks cool - kinda like some of the old corvettes.

I did have to use my fiberglass skills.  I figured since I didn't have any fancy epoxy that turns to rock, I'd just fiberglass in the L brackets to the bottom of the hood.  It worked!  I did use four layers of mat but had to really clean off the old black paint that was on the bottom of the hood with a wire brush and some acetone.

In addition I used 2.5 inch bolts with lots of washers and nuts.  The battery box just happens to be in the right place to stop the hood.  I'm just glad I got that one off the list.  Now I need to get some hood locks.

No comments:

Post a Comment