Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weatherstripping

The trunk and back window weatherstripping needed to be replaced.  Little did I know how jerry-rigged the old stuff was.  Lots of silicone to cover up alterations to avoid hinges and gas struts.  I imagine that this car leaked quite a bit when the rains came.  The hinges for the trunk were not only rusty but frozen where they wouldn't bend at all.

I found some weatherstripping on JCWhitney.   It goes on pretty good but I learned to prep the channel by running a phillips head screwdriver through it so it would open a bit.  I would then push it on then tap very lightly with a rubber mallet. 
I saw on Bradley GT.com where the Bradley GT I puts the weather stripping on the rear window glass versus the car frame.  I decided to do that on the bottom of my back window because the window isn't lined up right with the back frame.  This made for a nice cushion on the back edge but now there's a small gap on the sides.
I'll fill that in at a later time.
I'll take a flat 2 inch thin stripping to cover the lack of carpet trim which should clean the look up.

No comments:

Post a Comment