Sunday, July 17, 2011

New Motor

After getting some advice from an EV Engineer, I decided to buy an Impulse 9 motor from Netgain.  Needless to say, this is better technology than the old 8 inch Advanced DC motor I had been using.  This 8 inch motor was able to easily go to 120 volts but not the 156 volts I have for my battery pack.  The Impulse 9 is able to go to 170 volts without "advancing" the motor, or making the motor take in more volts than what it was intended for.
I just happen to buy the last one they had until September when they expect to finish building more.  I saved an extra $100 in shipping by having it delivered to where I work, which has a dock, versus my residence.  I had some help getting the motor in my trunk but had to cut it out of the cardboard box to take it out of the trunk - tight fit.
I was excited to get the new motor but wanted to wait a day after putting on the adapter again, to make sure all the red lock tight was dried. This was the same procedure as before, (see previous entry), except I had to use a 5/16th bolts to hold the hub on and buy some bigger lugs to attach the cables the the motor bolts.
Overall the motor is about 10 lbs heavier and since it's a 9 inch motor with the mounts for an 8 inch (for folks like me that want to upgrade but not have to buy a new adapter) it's wider.  I managed to wrestle that baby into the transaxle in about 45 minutes.
The test run with the wheels off the ground seemed to go great - no ugly noises!

No comments:

Post a Comment