Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pedal Assembly Replacement

The brake pedal wasn't returning completely after you step on the brakes.  I figured it was a bad spring.  I called Cip1 and they said they didn't sell a spring and I'd have to buy the whole enchilada.  OK, it was probably going to need to be replaced anyway at some point in time.  Better sooner than later?

Make sure you completely disconnect the clutch cable and gas cable from the rear first!

Taking out the old wasn't too bad.  There's two 17mm bolts that holds it all in place.  Then you'll need to remove the spring on the brake pedal, then the brake pin device. There's a C clamp holding it in place.  Pull the assembly out and disconnect the clutch cable. The gas pedal cable comes next then the whole thing should come out.
Yes, that's ugly.  Time to clean it up before I put the new in.

Putting the new wasn't too bad, I just hate working in tight places.  I'm NOT a contortionist.  I had to do this several times as the clutch pedal kept falling forward and the cable would come disconnected.  I had my loving wife help by holding the clutch pedal in place while I connected everything up in back.
Probably a little hard to see but there's a nice roller behind the gas pedal.  The brake pedal works fine as does the gas pedal.  But the clutch continues to want to flop all the way toward the seat.  (this can cause the clutch cable to fall off) One of the guys on Bradley GT suggested mounting the cable with a zip tie - great idea.  The next time it falls off - I'm there!

The answer to the flopping clutch was to use a 2 1/4 inch 2X4 wedged between the firewall and metal tabs on the bottom backside of the pedals.  OK this isn't a permanent fix but for the time being this works and I have an idea of what dimensions to use.

To make the gas pedal work I had to cut the assembly.

What do you expect from EMPI?  Their stuff needs fixing, even when you buy it new.

I also saw where on thesamba.com there's some improvements to the pedal assembly.  One that makes the gap wider between the brake and clutch for folks with big feet and one that replaces the hook assembly to attach the clutch cable with a permanent non-slipping bearing device.  Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment