Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Magic Box

Most EVers will put together a "magic box" that contains most of their high voltage connections.  Here's mine.
What we have here is the main fuse, the contactor, the shunt, a couple relays and two fuse terminals or blocks.  You should have seen what I started with.  I removed quite a bit and will remove some more. (Now if you don't understand any of the terms I'm throwing around get a book on how to convert your car to electric - there's plenty out there that are written by folks a whole lot smarter than I am.)

I have a "Blue Window" that replaces a lot of EV gauges with a screen display.
So all these gauges you see above will go out and the Blue Window will tell me amps, tach, state of charge and voltage.  The speedometer might stay, providing the cable will reach the right side rotor disc. If not, I'll use a TOM TOM or GPS equivalent.  Cars that are older than 10 yrs don't require an odometer in WA state.

Here's a peek at the Blue Window.


That means all these wires will be replaced by two, maybe three wires.  I love simplicity.  More to come on this one....BTW, you should the see the rest of the wiring - UGLY.  I ordered the EZ wiring kit which is color coded...more to come on that one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment