Sunday, March 20, 2011

Front Brakes, the Saga Continues

The new front brakes were wobbly and rubbing against something.  When I looked real close it was the bolts.  That back of the rotor was rubbing on the bolt heads.  To prove this point I mounted the bolts in from the other direction - just like they were when the brakes used drums.


The new disc rotor then mounted correctly - fully seated to the back.  I tried some different bolts - the one where you use an allen wrench to tighten.  Nope, that didn't work.  The final solution was to grind down the bolt head on the side that was next to the rotor.  The bolt is still functional and can be tightened.
From there it was put on the rotor with the back bearing and grease seal mounted.  Push in, then add the front bearing and thrust washer, and last the tightening nut with the 6mm screw.
The final step is to put on the caliper, the disc brake pads are already in place, and bleed the brakes.

This caliper come already painted so hopefully it won't rust right away.  I read where someone complained that the EMPI back calipers and rotors rusted right away after the first rain.
I ordered some new braided brakes lines, so once they get here I'll be able to put it all together.  I'm getting closer to completing this part of the overall project.

No comments:

Post a Comment