Saturday, March 26, 2011

Good News/Bad News Brakes

I continue to struggle with these new disc brakes by EMPI.  I found a post on samba.com that listed a lot of the problems I've endured and it was posted back in 2005!  Do these guys not care about quality control?

The good news is Charlie finished my washers.  The ones that are in front of the grease bearing seal.
The original in on the left.  The new one is on the right.  The thrust washer, the one that comes in the seal kit is at the bottom.  The thrust washer goes toward the bearings, the grease seal washer is just inside the bearing housing.
Needless to say I was exited to maybe, just maybe get my wheels back on today.  Then I ran across this....
The instructions state that if you have a swing arm, you need to use the included spacer.  What spacer?  There wasn't any in the kit.  Great...now another email to Kustom1warehouse and probably another week's worth of waiting.  Unless, I call Charlie and have him make me one.

So why did this happen?  Because it's a 1967 swing arm - the one year that VW decided to use some longer axles.  They discontinued this practice after 1967.  Lucky me!

I found some washers from Ace Hardware that will do the trick!  They are 1 1/4 inch inside diameter.
Four (times two sides) at 80 cents each is a lot less than $5 each with $10 shipping!!!
The final result - it works!  Maybe the next time I order something from one of the internet companies, I'll add the real spacers to my list.  But for right now, these will do just fine.
It's nice to have wheels back on the car.  Even though, I'm not ready to drive her and will probably ahve to take them off again, it looks much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment