Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bad Battery

I have 48 Lithium Batteries.  Oops, now I have 47.  What happened?  Human error, I didn't connect the buzzer on my BMS to let me know if there is a problem when I charge.  The result was an overcharge event.  Thank God the MiniBMS has a way to burn off excessive voltage.  But unfortunately one of the batteries, probably bad from the start, leaked a lot of battery goo and even though it reads 3.0 volts, the best plan is to wire around it and not take the chance of being stranded because of one battery running out of steam before all the others do.

Don't forget YOU are an essential piece of the Battery Maintenance System.  Check your batteries often when you are charging.

Notice the BMS board doesn't have a light.  You can see a lake of goo underneath.

Even though the pict is fuzzy, the back of the board is a mess.  Complete loss for the board, that's OK they are only $12 each.

 There's the messy gooey gross crap that came out of the battery.
I just happened to have an extra cable that allowed me to wire around the battery.
And the final step is to put something over it so in case anything comes in contact you won't get a large bright spark.

Now to fix the BMS......

No comments:

Post a Comment