Thursday, October 27, 2011

Another Fly in the Ointment of Discontent

So that pretty transaxle has a few problems.  The passenger side bearing won't seal right and the paper gaskets on the same side are leaking.  Not only is that side leaking but both axle ends are leaking too.  ARGHHH!!!
I added an old gasket from the old transaxle, coated with silicone and that didn't stop the leak.

I thought maybe if I just put it all together the wheel bearing would naturally seal into the axle tube.  Needless to say, that was purely wishful thinking on my part.  The low speed test was awful.  However, I did manage to finally get the shifter adjusted correctly.  The first short drive I took, all I had was reverse and fourth.  More ARGHH!!!

In talking with lowbugget, where I bought the transaxle from, he suggested I coat all the paper gaskets with gasket seal, and try heating the wheel bearing on a hot plate to expand the metal before putting it on the axle. Hmmm that makes sense.

I had also noticed the motor was vibrating.  I took off the motor and realized the flywheel was wobbly.  Come to find out the washer that helps to keep it in place wasn't thick enough.  I took a couple of the grease slinger washers that Charlie had made for me and by adding a 1/16th of an inch this seems to have solved that problem.  Yeah!!

Good thing the weekend is coming.  If I end up pulling the transaxle....again...at least I'll be able to get most of it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment