Sunday, November 6, 2011

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!

In one day's time I managed to get the transaxle out, put gasket seal on all the gaskets, had to redo the snap ring on the passenger side axle, then heated up the bearing on the outdoor grill (used an iron skillet) to get it on the axle, (see suggestion from lowbugget in last post) then got it all back in. Then put the motor in. Refilled the transaxle, slapped on the tires and I was so very excited about taking a test drive...that I forgot to tighten the tire lugs. (Hench the title, stupid, stupid, stupid.)

Good thing I was only doing 5 mph. This has NEVER happened to me before but the tire actually came off of the disc brake, so crash went the axle on rim of the tire.  I ran back home, grabbed my jack, put the tire back on and the car then the car wouldn't budge. let's run through the list...the car is in gear, the battery pack is fine, the amp meter shows it sucking amps but I'm not going anywhere. (OK, been there done that, got the t-shirt--previous posts will tell that something in the motor adaptor is stuck against the wall of the transaxle.)

Yeah, this is embarrassing to be pushing my car back to my garage in front of my neighbors.

Took off the motor and the whole adapter was wobbly.  Undoubtedly it had become stuck against the inside of the bell housing of the transaxle.  And to think, I had just fixed the wobble in the flywheel.  So, this time it was easy to see the culprit was the hub.  I took it all apart and shipped it off to Charlie, the guy who made it.  I can't blame Charlie, I started off wanting to put the hub on a 8 inch DC motor then switched to an Impulse 9, so what was made in the beginning wasn't really the right fit and the schematics for an Impulse 9 is slightly different.  As you can see, unlike most motor shafts, which are solid, this one has a hollow end.

No comments:

Post a Comment