Thursday, October 27, 2011

BMS Fixed

Dimitri from MINIBMS is great.  He answers emails promptly, helps troubleshoot your situation and then sent me a free headboard since the last one suffered a 12V surge from the Manzanita Micro charger.  Even though the charger wasn't grounded to the chassis, it was touching the battery box and somehow this fried the headboard, thus the buzzer couldn't sound and there was no warning that the batteries were over charging.  It's a good thing I check them regularly when I do charge otherwise it could have been worse.

To fix the charger issue, I padded the charger's exterior, next to the battery box, with some of those pipe tube foam insulation so it couldn't possibly make contact with anything metal.

In addition to the new headboard, I went and bought a few more cell boards.  After I swapped out the headboards, I decided to test the board by jumping the cell loop tabs.  No buzzer noise - that's good.  Then I tried with the batteries connected to the cell loop tabs.  Still...no buzzer. Yeah!!! Except I had bypassed about 4 cell boards that didn't pass the resistance test.  I started to reconnect them, one by one, then checking to see if the buzzer would sound.  I ended up replacing 3 boards.  At least I have one extra for any emergencies.

I charged the batteries and, sure enough, the buzzer sounded and the headboard triggered the relay which turned off the charger right when the first battery hit more than 3.6V. 

I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment