Monday, September 19, 2011

Yikes!!

So I pulled the old transaxle and am getting ready for the arrival of the rebuilt Freeway Flyer I bought.  Either way, the old axles need to come off.  I went back to the BugMe Video to see how to do it.  It's not very complicated but can be somewhat time consuming.  Here's a tip: if you're going to use regular needle nose pliers to take out the snap ring, bend the ends slightly inward with a hammer.

To take off the axles you also need to take off the tubes that the axles are in.  Once I did this look at what I found...
The axle is badly scored and there's large build up of metal deposits on the end.  This lead to the failure of the axle bearing.
This is what it should look like.  Yes, this is the other side of the transaxle.

These are the inner racers and the camera doesn't quite show how one side is badly scored compared to the other.

With that much metal deposit floating around in the oil, I'll need to dump it and clean the axle tubes.  I sprayed the inside of each tube with WD40 then took a shop towel and pushed it out the other end with a long cheater bar.

The one side looks great, I should be able to use the tube, bearing, racers, etc.  The other side will need new racers, bearing.  The tube is scored on the inside but I'm pretty sure I can clean it up to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment