Monday, April 25, 2011

Master Cylinder Replacement

So how tough can this be?  2 bolts behind the pedals.  Both of these bolts are 13 mm, I think.  It's not the bolts themselves that are so tough - it's where they are placed.  I'm 6 ft tall, trying to get in there to remove them is like sticking 10 lbs of mud in a 5 lb sack.  It's tight.  If you are claustrophobic, get someone else to do this!
The bolt on the right side is best taken out with a long extension on the ratchet wrench.  Also, there's some spacers that are between the two body walls that the bolts go through. This ensures the two walls don't get pushed in toward each other in case you over-tighten the bolts.  It's easy to lose these, you can stick your fingers inside the hole and find them if they fall off the bolts.  The best tip I found from the shade tree mechanic website: if the bolts are out and the cylinder is still stuck, use a rubber mallet and beat the crap out of it until it comes loose.  Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to completely take off the piston device from the pedal.
The picture is fuzzy but I think you get the point, this one was rusty and in sad shape.  For $35 you get a brand new one.

This has the two brake light switches attached as well as a new reservoir tank that attaches to the cylinder.  If I don't like this I can use the original valves that come with the cylinder and hook it up with some hoses.
To put the new one in, you'll need a helping hand.  My wife held it in place while I tightened the bolts.

No comments:

Post a Comment