Sunday, April 10, 2011

EZ Wiring Part I

Time to get serious about rewiring the whole car.  Many rebuilders have gone insane trying this.  Some have cried "Uncle" and called some one else in to do this.  I have to say, I have spent many hours looking at the 1967 VW schematic and then the EZ wiring diagram.  What confounds the issue is what wires hooks up to the steering wheel.  They give you a standard GM diagram and connections.  The 1967 VW has a black box thingee that ran a lot of the lighting.  Weird.  Then the final consideration is what do I NOT need because I'm driving electric.

You'll need a pulling device like the one above.  I also found using velcro ties a great luxury.  The first step is to have a plan. What goes where?  The EZ Wiring is laid out in four sections, the front, the back, the dash, and the steering wheel.  Step two is laying it out next to the car.  If you have a crowed garage like I do, then you'll drag it into the dining room and move the wires around as need be.  The kit assumes that the engine is in the front, not the rear.  So some wires had to be rerouted.  That's where the velcro ties work very well.  They give you plenty of wire ties but I didn't want to have to keep cutting them and putting in new ones.

Here are some of the wires waiting to be pulled.  The route to the back was next to impossible.  If you had the body off the car and the whole thing turned upside down you could do that.  I notices that there's a lip large enough along the 3 inch lift to run the wires along there and then use the same hole I cut for the the high voltage wires earlier in the backseat area.
The front wasn't too bad.  The puller was a great tool to use.
And the fuse box went right where the old one was.

No comments:

Post a Comment