Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Starter Removal

Started off the night bowing to my wife's request for Mexican food.  If you're ever in Cle Elum and have a hankering for Moicejete, go to the restaurant on the main drag.  You'll get more for your money.

Naturally I went straight to the Internet to see what's out there for tips on how to remove this Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) device.  (In other words electric cars don't need these.) I found a good "shade tree VW mechanic" site.  The most important thing is to make sure there's no electricity running at all so disconnect the battery. Why? There's a likely danger that the 12V at whatever Amp Hours you're using in your car will hit you like a ton of bricks and boy oh boy does that suck!  Hmmm, right now my Bradley has 0 batteries so I'm not worried about it.

So I jacked up the car, supported with jack stands and got ready for a good fight.  After getting a good look at the starter, I didn't see any bolts.  What the....@$%*? So I reached up and gave it a good jiggle and what do you know - it came right out in my hands.  Someone needs to slap the big red EASY button because "That was easy!"  It appears the previous owner took a high quality starter and put in a hunk of junk.  In the long run, it doesn't matter, because electric cars don't use starters. The nice thing is he left the wires.

 The thing I noticed while I was looking at the tranny was the mounts look pretty beat up.

This is another thing to add to my list.  I talked with Charlie, who is making my adaptor plate. The car was a good buy but didn't come with any motor which means no clutch or flywheel.  I think Charlie's going to help me out.  He's a pro and been working on VW conversions for long time.  I'll drop his website information at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment