Monday, December 6, 2010

Can He Do It?

Here's the deal.  I love electric cars.  I have been driving electric for about  8 years.  I started by buying a converted 1984 Nissan Pulsar while I lived in Ohio.  This was the car that I really cut my teeth on, not to mention destroyed a couple battery packs : ) The car is long gone but the electrical components have been sitting in my garage for years. Then I bought a 2001 Corbin Sparrow from a guy in California.  Zippy, fun...way too much fun, and fast.  But it only carries one person and a lot of people laugh because it's too unique to be cool.  Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed my Sparrow adventure but being called the Dr. Seuss mobile is devoid of cool points. Not to mention, one wheel traction can have it's disadvantages.

So...I found my dream car on the internet - a Bradley GT II.  I remember back in 7th grade my friends and I would talk about cars we could never afford and the Bradley GT was one of them. Back then a turn key version was $27,000. My wife always wanted a red sports car and I hope when it works that she will like this one. ; )

Here's the plan - buy my dream car and convert it to electric. So why didn't I buy a Bradley GTE to begin with? (Yes, Bradley did make electric versions) Because most of the ones for sale are still using the same technology from the 70's and usually are overpriced.  This is where the challenge comes in.  Can I take this humble $2,000 car from the 70's and transform it into a green machine and do so for a cost of under $6,000?

No comments:

Post a Comment