Thursday, December 23, 2010

Motor Adaptor

Finally, I get to do something that directly applies to the end goal - make it electric.  Charlie made my adaptor plate and associated items for less than what the retail EV parts store would cost.  You can find him online, and he specializes in VW and Porsche adaptors.  This is expensive - anywhere from $600 - $1,000.00.

The motor adaptor connects the electric motor to the transmission.  The big question most EVers have to face is whether to go clutchless or keep the clutch.  I chose to keep the clutch, primarily because it allows me to coast and given the fact I have several 6% grades in my commute I need to be able to do that.  Shifting is also easier and faster.  My previous EV, the 1984 Pulsar, had a clutch and I liked it.  Remember that's where all the electric gear is coming from - the Pulsar.

I bought my Bradley without a motor.  You need to have a clutch, pressure plate and a flywheel to make this thing work.  I had none of the above.  I ordered the clutch and pressure plate from EBay and Charlie had a flywheel that he prepped and sold to me.  So, if you buy a vehicle without a motor.....

To prep the motor I had to remove the previous adaptor, hub, clutch and flywheel.  Most of it came off pretty easy but the hub was stuck pretty good.  Eventually I had to rent the "Mother of All" pullers from the local rental shop just to get the darn thing off. It was well worth the $8, the hub was off in 30 seconds flat!

Here's how it all goes together...first here's the motor.
Now we add the adaptor plate by securing with 4 bolts that have blue locktight on them.
 
Now the Hub is added.  What you can't see is the little metal piece that marries to the shaft that looks like a rectangular block.  The hub slides right over the shaft with the block in place. The hub has a screw in the top that fastens to the shaft and a set screw on the side that needs to be tightened.  The screw in the top has blue locktight on it.
There are four dowel pins that connect the hub to the flywheel.  They are placed in their holes with Red Locktight.
Here's the flywheel, it is merely set on top of the dowel pins. 
Now we add the gland nut and washer and tighten them down.  This secures the flywheel in place. In the gland nut is a bearing that replaces the one that comes with most clutch kits. 
Next we add the clutch plate by setting on top.
Finally, we place the pressure plate on top of the clutch and secure with 6 bolts.  Use the black alignment tool to insure everything lines up.
This is assembled and ready for the hardest part, connecting to the transmission.  That's a pain.  Why, you may ask?  The motor is heavy then add the adaptor assembly and now you're talking having to rent an engine hoist so you can line it up and slide it in.  This might sound easy, but trust me there are several videos etc on the internet that exemplify what I mean.

Now if I can just finish putting in those @#$%! transaxle mounts!

No comments:

Post a Comment