Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lift 'em Up - Part Deux (actually three)

24 Bolts.  That's all, just 24 easy bolts that separate the body from the chassis.  Over the last few days I have fought the good fight and finished the race - victorious!  Thanks to my lovely wife who held wrenches on several occasions while I turned a wrench from underneath the car. As previously mentioned there was rust, lots and lots of rust.

Not to mention a constant lack of consistency in nuts and bolt types.  (I can't remember the last time I saw a square nut.  Neither can Chip and Dale ; )  Notice how carriage bolts were used.  I used a plastic jar gripper on the handle of my large screw driver to get a firm grip.


Two things to note:  First, there is a nut conveniently located on top of, or under, depending upon which way you are looking at it, the brake line on the back of the driver's side area.

To remove this bolt was a lesson in perseverance.  Secondly, the ones at the very front corner of the car are hard to get to.  I 'm 6 feet tall and had to cram my face into the dash so I could get the wrench to sit on the bolt. Here's a bonus, squirt the rusty bolts with WD 40 and let them sit overnight before you arm up for battle.

Already I can tell that the smaller bolts, (from the 3 inch lift kit) that are supposed to go on the rear hump, don't fit the threads that are there.  I will probably choose to drill out the existing threads so they WILL fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment