Thursday, August 30, 2012

What's WATT Doc?

EVers like to brag about how efficient their cars are.

 "My car only uses 200 wh per mile!" 
"Oh yeah, mine gets 180.! So there, nanny nanny boo boo."

So how's my car performing.....it's sucking amps....big time.

I drive 31 miles, lots of hills, pulling about 200 AH going up the steep ones, (I could do more -- evil EV grin.)

31 miles - the trip to work draws 9 KWh = 290 wh per mile

31 miles coming home draws 10.75 KWh = 346 wh per mile

You're probably asking how much of an impact did the DC to DC make to your energy usage?
Good question.  Unfortunately the only data I have is from my usual route that is only 25 miles long, you know...the route that is closed because they are rebuilding a bridge.  I was averaging right about 290 wh per mile then.  So....

Thank goodness I can recharge at work.  But sucking 16 AH at 120V takes a long time to fill up my pack. That's close to 6 hours.  If I can hook up to the 220V outlet, that would really cut down my recharge time.  Being able to suck 20 Amps at 220V would be awesome!

UPDATE:  I finally got the 220V to work.  This is the beauty of owning a Manzanita Micro PFC charger.  It will take either 120 or 220 by just plugging it into the charger. By sucking 15 amps at 220 I'm recharged in about 3 hours.  Yee Haw!  I say that because I have to share the charging station with a guy that drives a  Miles EV.  Fortunately, his motor went kaputz and I've had the station to myself lately.  BTW, I'm using some heavy duty wire that's rated at 250V 30 Amps.




No comments:

Post a Comment