Thursday, August 16, 2012

PowerMax DC to DC Converter Installation

My 12V 60 AH Battery that I was using to power all my 12V stuff seemed to suffer when I took my last test drive.  The best solution is to use a DC to DC converter with the battery so you get the best of both worlds.  What does that mean, you might ask? For instance if all you did was run a DC to DC converter, if your pack was running low of if the DC to DC stopped working, you might not make it home.  If you ran only with a 12V battery like I have done for quite a while, it's all good until your 12V needs exhaust your battery before you get home or maybe you forgot to charge the battery --- oops!

By hooking up the DC to DC converter to a 12V battery if one fails the other will take over.  Thus, the best of both worlds.

How to install.  First, look at the prongs of the AC cord and note that the wire with all the writing on it is the positive.  Then cut the prong end off.  (Or leave it on and take another AC cord and cut it.  This would give you a quick disconnect.)  Separate the wires, strip them, then add some blue connectors for go on the positive and negative outputs of your high voltage battery pack. It's a good idea to hit your quick disconnects so you the pack is not at full voltage. (Always watch where you place both hands when making a connection, if you think you'll touch a metal trim, then wrap it in electrical tape. The trim, not your hand : ) 

The instructions said to test the 12V output with a voltmeter.  This didn't work for me because my voltmeter leads had come loose - oops.

Next I ran a large wire, (they suggest an 8) from the DC to DC to my 12V battery and made the connections.  I tested the DC to DC by disconnecting the 12V battery and yes, all the 12V stuff worked.

Don't expect a light to come on or the fan to engage.  At least that was my experience, unless I test with a voltmeter, I wouldn't know if it was running.


There's another slot on the front to connect the unit to the car as a ground.  I didn't do that.  At least not yet. Maybe someone who knows better will criticize me and prompt me to do so.

I then took a 28 mile drive in 90 degree weather.  Lots of hills and winding roads to get to Lake Cle Elum.  I stopped once I got to the lake and checked everything out, the controller was barely warm, the DC to DC was not making any noise and the fan wasn't blowing. Overall, the car performed wonderfully.  I don't have to worry about my 12V battery running low, nor do I have to worry about my controller or motor overheating.  These additions have been worth it.

1 comment:

  1. hI,
    The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well, I will continue to focus on your article.

    Batteries for laptop

    ReplyDelete