Thursday, August 9, 2012

Motor Cooling Fan Installation

I had tried this before but because my motor was installed at the 3 o'clock position, a bottom position fan wasn't going to work.  I sent the collar and rubber mat parts back to EV Source and asked for the top mount instead.
Here's what the entire kit looks like.


They replied that the manufacturer doesn't make those anymore and with little effort you can adapt what you have to work.  The more I thought about this, the more it made sense.  When the two piece collar came back to me, I noticed that if I flip flopped the one piece and cut the mat in the middle I should be able to line everything up.  Sure enough, it worked. (the pict above shows this) I did use some Gorilla duct tape to mate the rubber mat together again after I had cut it.

To install the collar you need to remove all the motor cables.  It's a good idea to disconnect your battery pack at the Big Anderson Connector so you have 0 voltage flowing anywhere nearby, just as a precaution. Now you position the rubber mat, I then used some more of the Gorilla duct tape to tape the two ends together so it would not get in the way of installing the metal collar pieces.  The one piece with the holes gave me a little bit of problems at first but with some manipulation it finally went on. Now you have to insert the blow hole piece into the matching collar piece.  The directions included will make this pretty clear. When you bolt the two pieces together make sure you make the first two bolts (on one end) very loose, otherwise it will be hard to get the other end on.  I then used a vice grip to squeeze the ends together so I could tighten up the bolts much easier.  This will be an air tight fit when done.

Next, I needed to install the fan motor.  I chose to place the motor behind the driver side back wheel up in the area behind the turn signal.  The aerodynamics of the wheel well catches the air and shoots it up into that area but any water or dirt from the tire is blocked by the existing wall.

The K & N filter that's attached will help block out any dirt, dust, etc that might fly up there.  It's easy to remove this motor to replace the filter.  I went ahead and tested the system by hooking it directly up to a 12V battery I had sitting around.  Wow!  Does this thing blow...I can feel air coming out the other end of the motor and even the bolt holes in the back plate.  This should do the trick.

Overall this system was ideally made for a front hood area installation as most cars are front wheel drive. The fact I have a rear area motor just makes for a good challenge. : )

Finally, I'll need to install the fully pre-wired relay assembly.  That should be a snap, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow.  With luck I should be back on the road this weekend.  With my luck the weather will get cool and I won't get a good test with 100+ degree heat.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a laptop user, and I don't know what I'd do without mine. I can remember the days where I thought the desktop was king, as I couldn't imagine life without a big keyboard and a nice sized monitor to sit behind.I love your enthuiasm and writing style. I am looking forward on reading the next hub. Rated up.
    Cooling fans

    ReplyDelete