Sunday, May 22, 2011

Blue Window Install

The instructions are on the Blue Motors website.  However, a couple things stand out for my install.  I needed a long AV cable to hook to the 7 inch monitor I was using mounted in the dash.  The dash is about 8 feet away from the main unit.  I found a nice long AV cable but when you go to hook up the two cables you have a male to male situation.  You can buy an AV adapter connector at most reputable electronics store for about 2.99 for two.  I mounted my monitor to the main console of the dash.
You must mount the main unit within 1 foot of the shunt and the shunt needs to be on the negative side of the battery pack NOT the positive. (Even though most EV wiring diagrams have the shunt on the positive side, it really doesn't matter what side you put the shunt on, for this unit to work - it needs to be on the negative.) The picture they give makes it pretty clear how to wire those shunt cables.  The part that is left to your imagination is attaching to the 156V positive lead.  I ran the cable into my Magic Box and tapped into the main fuse connection with a large O or ring connector. The 156V lead doesn't have to be on all the time.  The 12V lead does need to be on all the time.  Again these connections went into my Magic Box and connected with the 12V battery leads.
I don't have the tachometer hooked up yet as I don't have the car running yet.  So....later on I'll do that.  For right now, I'm happy the unit is in and working - Volts and Amps - yee haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment