Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Open Revolt Troubles/Fix

If the little yellow light , on the outside of the case,is blinking, that's a bad thing.  And it was happening for me.

I drove my Bradley to the lake that was nearby, pretty area, but lots of hills.  And that was what I wanted to test. The results didn't seem so good, I wasn't able to pull the max amps while climbing and at one point the batteries seem to sag and get real whimpy......

I mentioned in an earlier post that I wasn't happy with the results of just a plug 'n play controller.  The good news is that's what the Open Revolt is good for.  You can adapt it to your particular vehicle.  So I loaded the same settings as a similar car I found in the Wiki but wasn't happy with the results, especially when I tried to climb hills.  So I made, what I believe to be, some additional settings that would improve the response.  Instead what I got was the blinking yellow light and the car would not go.  I grabbed my laptop and tapped in to see that the High Throttle Lockout was engaged.  For some reason my potbox was showing a 511 minimum throttle, when before it was 000.  I tried to circumnavigate this by typing in a higher number, then restart, the car went about 10 feet with a huge acceleration and stopped. (I didn't know it could go that fast!)  It's always embarrassing to ask my wife to help me push the car down the road and into the garage.

From there I tried a couple different problem solving tactics. Is there any voltage leakage in the potbox itself?  I took a voltmeter and nope, nothing.  Is the potbox showing too much resistance with the Ohm setting?  I had to look up on the internet how to do this with my voltmeter.  (I don't do this very often) Once again, nope - right where it should be 5/6.  The good thing is that Jake, the guy that built the controller was there, via email, to answer questions and give valuable insight. He recommended that I bypass the potbox entirely and tie the two potbox cables coming out of the Open Revolt Controller together and see if I still have the problem?  Sure enough, the High Throttle Lockout was still engaged, even after I tried to restart.  The final thought was to reset all the settings back to the default.  The site where I found the TRD Explorer had a document that listed all the defaults there on the page.  So I reset them and viola! It worked.  As a matter of fact it worked better than before.

I took the car on a 15 mile ride and it seemed to respond better than before.

OK, I'm not an electrical engineer, nor do I spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express to gain brain power.  But it seems to me that what I put in should have worked.  I guess I must have typed something in wrong.  Either way, I'm not messing with any settings for a while.  Let's drive!!!!  Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment