Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shifter Install

Why a new shifter?  I really don't like the agony of reverse.  Reverse is not only painful but it's also difficult to find.  Push the shifter down, jam it to the left then ram it to the rear into my thigh. Ouch!!!

After doing some research, everyone talks about the Berg shifter as the cadillac of shifters.  Yes, it's very expensive.  Some say it's worth the money.  I also saw a few folks that said they liked the Bugspak.  And of course there is the el cheapo EMPI.  Everything I read on the EMPI is that it is to be avoided at all costs.  So, back to the Bugspak.  It reduces the shifting pattern by 40% and is in two styles - angled and straight.  I bought the angled.


That would be the old shifter above.
Just in case you wanted to know what it looks like when it's removed - there it is.

The new plate is on the left.  As you can see the old is worn.  When you install the new, remember to put the "ramp to the right."  This makes sense when you actually are doing it.


Add some grease to the bottom, put that sucker in there, find reverse, tap the plate slightly forward, then tighten.  Really, it's that simple.

Let me say, I LOVE this shifter.  It really is a lot easier to use, except for reverse.  Now granted, reverse wasn't easy to find to begin with but at least now it's not painful.



No comments:

Post a Comment