Sunday, February 20, 2011

Steering Column Part III

The column came back from the welder.  Yeah!!

He welded and installed a set bolt through the top U-joint.  You can see this below.
That's the 7/8 column going to a 3/4 steering shaft. Both were smooth and had no set screws whatsoever. Since I had the thing out of the car, I thought now would be a good time to sand it down and paint it gray, instead of that ugly 30 year old black.
Looks much better.  I also painted the steering wheel middle gray as well.  Of course I needed my wife to make the connection was in place while I was lining it up from the driver's seat.  I also used longer screws with large washers so I could get the steering column to screw in a lot easier than before.
Even though it looks good, there's a lot of clunking because the U joint is right where the fire wall hole is.  When I cut away some more of the fiberglass the steering shaft tends to move around.  I'm looking at getting an adapter/weight from a VW catalog to smooth it out.  Of course, the good news is it works!!

No comments:

Post a Comment