Saturday, February 5, 2011

Steering Column Part II

Previously, I needed to alter my steering column because I added a 3 inch lift kit to the body.  This is one of the the several problems that one needs to solve.  The VW steering column is a straight shot, no u-joints.  I had to cut away about 12 inches and look for a shaft, and two u-joints to connect the column to the steering box.  What I ended up doing was buying three u-joints: 7/8 smooth to 5/8-36 spline; 3/4 48 spline to 3/4 48 spline; 3/4 smooth to 3/4 smooth.  I took two apart to get what I needed: 7/8 smooth to 3/4 smooth.
If you've never taken a U-joint apart before, you use a vise to push one side out. You'll notice these have little allen screws to keep the joints from coming apart. I used a 2.5 allen wrench to get the screws off.  Next I put a small nut on one side and the open end of a socket on the other side.  Now start pressing, I usually go slow so the pressure doesn't build up too much. Use a pair of pliers and take off the cap - careful, this has tiny bearings inside.  Now press in the opposite direction to remove the other side.  It's not necessary to take all four caps off.  A screw driver can pry the two joints apart.

Here's what I ended up with.  Starting with the column, then the first u-joint: a 7/8 smooth to a 3/4 smooth, a 12 inch 3/4 shaft with 48 spline on the end; the second u-joint is a 3/4 48 spline to a 3/4 48 spline.  This connects to the steering box spline by tightening the allen screw.  The original spline on the steering box is difficult to match.  The nice thing is I have a left over joint that is a 5/8 36 spline which will marry to a rack and pinion.

Now I need to install temporarily so I can make sure the measurement of the 12 inch shaft isn't too long.  If it is, I'll cut it.  The final step before final installation is to get the smooth joints spot-welded to the shaft and column.

No comments:

Post a Comment