Sunday, February 6, 2011

Installing the Electric Motor

Finally!  After all this time I get to install the electric motor.  The transaxle is back in place, the Butt Sag Bar has been refurbished with 3 inch blocks to accommodate the 3 inch body lift that was added.
WARNING: An electric motor is heavy!!
I think mine weighs somewhere around 100 lbs.  Most folks will use an engine hoist to install their motors and there are many examples of this on the web.  I'm cheap and on a budget so I thought I would try using the motorcycle jack.  I had to lift the motor on the jack and then figure how to get it level with the transaxle.
The trunk area is pretty tight and even with the motorcycle jack it was lift, move forward, lift, move forward, etc...
Yeah, that's not gonna work.  Looks like I need to add a board in the back.
So, here's the skinny board and it's still not level.  Hey, I have a steel plate around here somewhere.
And that was the best solution.  It actually made the motor easy to shift and adjust so the bolts would line up.  This went faster than what I expected - about 45 minutes.  Remember, keep it level, and once the clutch stem is lined up it just slides right in. : )

It's exciting to get to work on the actual conversion instead of fixing mechanical problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment