Saturday, July 28, 2012

Installing the Water Cooling Kit

Even though I can't hook into the controller yet, (adaptors didn't fit, new ones on the way see more below), I decided to go ahead and start installing the kit.  Here's a few picts.
I decided to place the reservoir against the backseat area.  The pump is underneath, and the side port doesn't create a sharp bend in the tube.  I use a short garden hose and funnel to fill it up because it's tucked in underneath the body.





Here you can see the pump and the lower corner of the radiator.  The instructions say to put the pump underneath the reservoir so the pump gets primed.  Also if you need to purge the system it will make it easier.  Notice the funky white clamps?  They are easy to put on.  If you use a extended pair of pliers you can sqeeze the clamps tight.  The radiator has two fans and in and out ports. I put the radiator under the shelf so it would get cool air from underneath the car.

Next I had to rig up a relay to turn everything on.  Since I had a switch up front for the pre-charger, (which I won't need because this is built into the Soliton) I decided to use that and mount the relay in my magic box.

Finally, I gave it a go.  It works!!!!  The fans came on and the pump was pumping the fluid into a can I had sitting on the floor.  Very quiet - I like that.  I had to touch the pump to feel it vibrate to know it was working.  When it's all hooked up to the controller, the cycle will be: reservoir - pump - radiator - in controller - out controller - reservoir.

Getting back to the adaptor problem.  The DIYelectriccarforum site had some great advice - they used a 1/8 NPT male X 3/8 inch barb.  As I continued to search for a 1/8 NPT male X 1/2 barb I came to the conclusion there aren't any.  That's why it takes two pieces and they are too fat. The best solution is to buy the 3/8 barb, like they did and then use some reducers - 1/2 barb X 3/8 barb to adjust. I ordered all the parts from a company in CA and they shipped today.

Next the motor cooling kit.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information above but I'm trying to look also for cooling installation Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice information! I have visited the site for the first time and read the content that you have posted in your blog is really interesting and important to all. Water cooling kit are used to cool the system rapidly.

    ReplyDelete