Thursday, March 22, 2012

Off the Road

It's been awhile and my Baby has been out of commission since January.

At first I thought it was the four metal dowel pins that help stabilize the flywheel to the hub, since they were different lengths. 


I thought this could throw off the flywheel by just a tad. I ground them down and reassembled everything and yes, that did seem to help.  But still there was a slight wobble.

 I finally realized I wasn't getting anywhere with resolving the wobble in the adaptor assembly so I called on an expert in the Seattle area.  Unfortunately it has taken a very long time to come to the conclusion that a small error in the "run out" on the hub is what the problem has been all along.  15/1000 of an inch can really screw things up!  This has lead to a second machinist making a second hub.  $300 later, I should be able to finally pick it up tomorrow.  The deal was for them to balance the assembly and mount it on the motor, then I take it home and install it.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Of course the daily snow in the morning doesn't help matters, so even I could have been driving it, it would have been in the garage.  BTW, you need to recharge and balance the batteries probably once every two months or so, unless you have something that is draining them - maybe a dc to dc converter?  Then you'll have to do this maybe every two weeks to a month that the car sits idle, depending on the amount of drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment