Sunday, September 23, 2012

Front Disc Brake Update

The front disc brakes (remember they're EMPI) were starting to make some very annoying noises.  Every bump resulted in a clunk, ching, klank.  I finally got around to tearing into them and discovered the bolts I had jerry-rigged to work as a replacement for the special order reduced head metric bolt (good luck trying to find those at the local auto parts store) were coming loose. Previously, I ended up using allen head bolts for the back brakes and thought this might be the best solution for the front.  At $1 each, they better work.  The only thing is the matching lock washers are larger than the head and therefore will rub against the rotor.  However, once I did a test drive, the sound difference was practically night and day.  Some blue threadlock makes up for the lack of a lock washer.

****************************************************************************

I didn't get to drive "Big Red" as often as I wanted to these past couple weeks.  The fires in WA state are blowing smoke everywhere.  The EPA has rated some areas as "hazardous."  I don't have a way to filter the air coming into the car and am not found of breathing in a chain smoker's daily intake while I drive to and from work. 

At least there's been a slight wind blowing most of the air out for the last couple days.


No comments:

Post a Comment